The provisions below apply to the electronic service provided by the initiative BUILD UP (hereinafter, ‘the electronic service’) at the following web address: https://build-up.ec.europa.eu.
The information on this website is subject to a disclaimer, a copyright notice, and a privacy statement, related to personal data protection.
This electronic service is a tool created by the European Commission which aims to share and promote existing knowledge, guidelines, tools, and best practices for energy-saving measures and renewable energy in buildings across Europe. At the same time, it aims to inform and update the market about the legislative framework in terms of goals, practical implications, and future revisions.
The electronic service is provided by the European Commission/ DG DIGIT under a service contract with the European Climate, Infrastructure and Environment Executive Agency (CINEA) on behalf of the European Commission (contract number – CINEA/2021/OP/0002).
The electronic service provides a wide range of sharing information and resources (e.g. articles, publications, cases, tools, news, and events) and links to websites from several organisations.
The European Commission takes no responsibility for the information contained in these resources, or linked websites.
The views expressed in the portal, resources and linked websites are the ones of the authors and do not represent CINEA or the European Commission’s official position. Neither CINEA nor the European Commission, guarantee the accuracy of the information and the resources shared in the portal, nor can they be made liable for any use made thereof.
The content of this website includes text data and multimedia items such as texts, graphics, logos, icons, images, audio and video material, photographs, programmes, and the technology described, which are protected by the provisions of national, European, and international law applying to intellectual property.
These textual data and multimedia items are in general the exclusive property of their authors and beneficiaries.
Data Protection Notice
In accordance with Regulation (EU) 2018/1725 of 23 October 2018 on data protection (hereinafter the Regulation), the European Climate, Infrastructure and Environment Executive Agency (hereafter CINEA) collects your personal data only to the extent necessary to fulfil the precise purpose related to its tasks.
The controller is CINEA:
- Unit D1
- Person responsible for the processing: the Head of Unit D1
- Email: CINEA-LIFE-CET@ec.europa.eu
The following entities process personal data on our behalf as contractor:
- NTT DATA Belgique, acting as prime contractor
- European Academy of Bozen-Bolzano, acting as partner
- Université Libre de Bruxelles, acting as subcontractor
- and TIPIK Communication Agency, acting as subcontractor
The purpose of the processing are the general operation, maintenance, improvement, and promotion of the BUILD UP web portal on the EUROPA website managed by the European Commission. The activities specifically related to the communication and dissemination of the portal are related to:
- The development of the BUILD UP members directory, including profiles of registered BUILD UP users
- The development of the BUILD UP social media channels: LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube
- The provision of newsletters, e-mail shots, and similar direct marketing services to users who subscribe to these services.
- The registration of the participants to meetings (online or in person), management of their participation, and inclusion in participant lists.
- The management of follow-up meetings and other related follow-up actions, such as the collection of feedback, distribution of meeting related information, etc.
- The support with the organisation of events, liaising with speakers, registration of participants, reporting on the event, interviewing speakers, and attendants, etc.
- Statistical purposes in relation to website usage and security
The data subjects concerned by this notice are the registered users of the BUILD UP website.
The categories of personal data collected and used for the processing operations are:
- Profile image and its description
- Contact information such as name, surname, country, and e-mail address
- Curriculum: organisation, position, biography
- Participation to event relating to the BUILD UP initiative
- Social media profiles (e.g., LinkedIn and Twitter)
The recipients of the data are:
All recipients are on a "need to know" basis:
- authorised European Commission staff and CINEA staff responsible for the BUILD UP Service Contract authorised staff of NTT Data, EURAC Research, Université Libre de Bruxelles and Tipik, as contractors of CINEA (acting as processors in this context), responsible of the delivery of the service contract;
- participants of the event organised, who may receive names, organisation details and email addresses of the other participants, based on their prior consent. The lists of participants will not be published further.
In case of audits or proceedings, etc., personal data may be provided to CINEA’s Internal Controller, DPO, Legal Affairs Sector, etc.
In addition, data may be disclosed to public authorities in accordance with Union and Member State law such as the European Court of Justice or a national judge as well as the lawyers and the agents of the parties in case of a legal procedure, Investigation and Disciplinary Office of the European Commission (IDOC), the competent Appointing Authority in case of a request or a complaint lodged under Articles 90 of the Staff Regulations, European Anti-Fraud Office (OLAF), the Internal Audit Service of the Commission, the Court of Auditors ,the European Ombudsman, the European Data Protection Supervisor and the European Public Prosecutor’s Office.
Use of third-party IT tools
Our website may use third-party resources that are stored on their respective sites. We use them to display maps, fonts, and icons. None of these third-party resources store cookies on your device.
Data Subjects rights:
- You have the right at any time to access, rectify, erase ('right to be forgotten') your personal data or to request for the restriction of it processing.
- You are also entitled to object to the processing of your personal data on grounds relating to your situation at any time unless CINEA demonstrates compelling and overriding legitimate grounds or in case of legal claims.
You can exercise your rights by sending an email with the requested change(s) to the controller via the functional mailbox indicated here-above in Section 1.
In any case your data will be modified or removed accordingly and as soon as practicable (maximum within 15 working days).
When processing is based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time, without affecting the lawfulness of the processing before such a withdrawal.
However, in line with Article 25 of the Regulation, the data controller may restrict the rights of the data subjects based on the Decision of the Steering Committee (2020) 26 of 14/10/20 (OJEU L 45 on 9.2.2021, p. 80), in case where such restriction constitutes a measure necessary to safeguard the protection of the data subjects or the rights and freedoms of other data subjects, etc.
How does CINEA protect and safeguard your data?
Relevant organisational and technical measures are taken by the Agency to ensure the security of your personal data. Access to your data is restricted to an individual need to know basis and through User-ID and password and can be accessed via authentication system. Your data resides on the servers of the European Commission, which abides by strict security measures implemented by DG DIGIT to protect the security and integrity of the relevant electronic assets. CINEA is also bound by Commission Decision 2017/46 of 10/1/17 on the security of communications & information systems in the EC.
The processing of your data will not include automated decision-making.
The personal data and all information collected is also stored on the servers of the processors, which have secure data management systems. The processors are bound by specific contractual clauses for any processing operations of your personal data on behalf of the data controller. The processors have put in place appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure the required level of security. For more information please consult:
- Privacy Statement - Tipik Communication Agency (1)
The legal basis of the processing are:
- Council Regulation 58/2003 of 19 December 2002, laying down the Statute for executive agencies to be entrusted with certain tasks in the management of EU programmes;
- Commission Implementing Decision (EU) 2021/173 of 12 February 2021 establishing the European Climate, Infrastructure and Environment Executive Agency, and repealing Implementing Decisions 2013/801/EU;
- Commission Decision C(2021)947 of 12 February 2021 delegating powers to the European Climate, Infrastructure and Environment Executive Agency (2);
- Regulation (EU) 2021/783 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 29 April 2021 establishing a Programme for the Environment and Climate Action (LIFE), and repealing Regulation (EU) No 1293/2013.
Time limits for keeping: Your data will be kept as long as necessary for the relevant activities of the BUILD UP web portal and as long as you do not withdraw your consent, where applicable. CINEA keeps data in accordance with the 2019 Retention List of the Commission (2 years for website related data and communication activities and 5 years for events). Your personal data will remain in the contractor’s database(s) for one year after the event’s closure and will be deleted afterwards.
In case you have any questions about the collection/processing of your personal data, you may contact the data controller who is responsible for this processing activity by using the email address mentioned here above in Section 1.
You may contact at any time the Data Protection Officer of the Agency (CINEA-DPO@ec.europa.eu). You have the right to have recourse at any time to the European Data Protection Supervisor (firstname.lastname@example.org).
(1) Features mentioned in those privacy statements such as Google Analytics, marketing trackers, etc are not used for this process. Only what is described in this data protection notice is applicable to this process.
(2) With a view to the performance of tasks linked to the implementation of Union programmes in the field of transport and energy infrastructure; climate, energy and mobility research and innovation; environment, nature and biodiversity; transition to low-carbon technologies; and maritime and fisheries; comprising, in particular, implementation of appropriations entered in the general budget of the Union and those stemming from external assigned revenue.